Health Office

Mission Statement:

School nursing is a profession of scientific process,

health assessment,  nursing diagnosis and treatment, as well as a work of heart.

Danielle Van Ness, RN promotes health, learning and the overall well being of our students to help strengthen and improve student academic performance. Many services are available in the health office such as delivery of medication monitoring, maintaining immunization and cumulative health records for each student, annual screenings, consultations for student and staff health concerns, and so much more. Mrs. Van Ness is ready to respond to illness, injury, accidents, allergies, and any other medical emergency that may arise throughout the day.

The nurse's office is open from 8:00 am until 3:00 pm Monday thru Friday. Students and Parents/Caregivers are encouraged to discuss any health problems with School Nurse Danielle Van Ness, RN, by calling 518-576-4555 or contact her by email.

Health Information

Parents/guardians are asked to contact the Health Office everyday the student is absent. Upon returning to school a student must bring in a written excuse from the parent/guardian stating the days and the reason for the absence. 

Any injuries during the school day or during school sponsored activities should be reported to the teacher, coach and nurse as soon as possible. It is extremely important to provide the nurse with any medical documentation related to the injury. For example, when you are seen at the ER, Fast Track or your Primary Care, a discharge summary and/or release from sports/PE note is provided. All of this paperwork should be brought to the school nurse. The nurse will then forward pertinent information to the teachers, playground monitors and coaches. An accident report will be filed as soon as possible. Please note that NO copies of the accident report will be provided to individuals or doctor’s offices. Simply state that the accident occurred at a school function. This practice will ensure immediate attention and treatment of the injury. It will also provide appropriate documentation for insurance purposes.

Physicals: New York State Law and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education require physical examinations of children when they enter the school district for the first time at any age, and are entering grades 2, 4, 7, and 10, participate in interscholastic sports, are referred by/to the Committee on Special Education, or are deemed necessary by school authorities to determine a child’s educational program. 

Physical Paperwork: To Be Filled Out By A Physician

Health History Form: This needs to be filled out on every student every school year so that the health office is up to date and is knowledgeable about any and all accidents resulting in injury or illness over the summer months. 

Health History: Form To Be Filled Out By Parent/Caregiver

Dental Certificates: New York State requires a dental health certificate for new entrants into the school district, and for those entering grades 2, 4, 7 and 10. The certificate is enclosed for those that fit the stated criteria. 

Dental Certificate: To Be Filled Out By A Dentist

Immunizations: Public Health Law Section 2164(7)(a) requires that:

No principal, teacher, owner or person in charge of a school shall permit any child to be admitted to such school, or to attend such school, in excess of fourteen days, without the certificate provided for in subdivision five of this section or some other acceptable evidence of the child’s immunization against poliomyelitis, mumps, measles, diphtheria, rubella, varicella, hepatitis B and, where applicable, Haemophilus  influenza type b (Hib); provided, however, such fourteen day period may be extended to not more than thirty days for an individual student by the appropriate principal, teacher, owner or other person in charge where such student is transferring from out-of-state or from another country and can show a good faith effort to get the necessary certification or other evidence of immunization.

Medications:   Under certain circumstances, when it is necessary for a student to take medication during school hours, the nurse may cooperate with the family physician and parents.  In such cases, the nurse must have on file a written order from a duly New York State licensed physician and written parental permission to administer the medication.  The request must state the name of the medication and the frequency and dosage of the medication.

All medications, including nonprescription drugs such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen, cough drops etc., given in school must be prescribed by a licensed prescriber on an individual basis. Permission forms are enclosed and must be completed by both the physician and the parent prior to administration of medication by the school nurse. 

If your child has been prescribed an inhaler for asthma or asthma related illness, he or she must have a “self-medication release form” signed by both the physician and the parent.

In accordance with New York State law, you are required to submit new permission forms for any medication each year.  Forms completed prior to the start of the school year may be mailed directly to the school.

All medication must be brought to the school by a parent/guardian/or responsible adult and are NOT to be sent in on the school bus.

Medication needs to be in an original, pharmacy labeled container.  When you are prescribed medication, ask the pharmacist to supply a separate container to send into school.  They are willing to provide the service.

Field trips; According to New York State Education Law 6908 regarding medication and field trips, we recommend that parent/guardian designate in writing another adult to administer medication, in situations where the school nurse or parent/guardian is unavailable. Click on the link below for further explanation and answers to your questions.

Medication Form: To Be Filled Out By A Guardian And Physician 

Inhaler Form: To Be Filled Out By Guardian And Physician

Field trip Form: For Medications

BMI New York State Education Law require BMI and weight status group be included as part of the student’s school health examination.  Our school district will be reporting to New York State Department of Health information about our students’ weight status groups. Only summary information is sent, no names or information about individual students are sent. If you do not want your child’s weight status information included in the survey please sign the form below and return it ASAP; all declination forms need to be returned to Mrs. Van Ness prior to October 1st. 

BMI And Weight Status Category Declination; To Be Filled Out By Parent

Currently Enrolled Student HIPPA form: for use or disclosure of protected health information

Previously Enrolled Student HIPPA form: for use or disclosure of protected health information

Shot Records over the summer: The office staff is not allowed by NYS laws; FERPA and HIPAA to give out and/or send out your child’s records. Please call ahead because the nurse does not have a set schedule and will only be in her office periodically throughout the summer.

If your child is playing Soccer in the fall, all requested paperwork must be completed before the first practice.