Academic Resources

Graduation Course & Exam Requirements 

Here you will find a chart established by the NY State Education Department, which outlines the minimum course credit and Regents exam requirements for graduation.  Graduation Requirements Chart

For additional graduation requirement and policy information please visit the NYSED Office of Curriculum & Instruction.

Graduation Chart for Web

KCS Diploma & Examination Requirements

NY State has mandated various requirements for graduation. Requirements for graduation can be divided into two categories: credits and exams. Students are required to earn 22.5 credits, including a mandatory core curriculum of 18.5 credits, in order to graduate.

Students are also required to pass a minimum of five New York State Regents Exams. There are additional course and exam requirements for an Advanced Regents Diploma.

Grade Conversion Chart

Use this CollegeBoard grade conversion chart to convert between a letter or numerical grade or 4.0 scale.

Course Selection & Annual Reviews

Every January-March, students in grades 6-11 will be presented with information on graduation requirements and courses available for the following school year.  They will fill out a Course Selection Worksheet and meet with the school counselor to review their current academic progress, requests for the next year, progress toward graduation and discuss post high school planning. 

Parents are invited to attend the high school planning presentation by the high school principal and school counselor each fall.  

High School Academic Planning Presentation

College Level Coursework

North Country Community College Bridge Courses

The following NCCC Bridge courses may be available during the 11th and 12th grade years at KCS:




Government & Politics


Intermediate Spanish I

Advanced Placement (AP) Courses 

The following AP courses may be available during the 11th and 12th grade years at KCS:

US History & Government

English Language & Composition

English Literature & Composition

Environmental Science

Music Theory

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit Policy: A great resource for learning about what AP scores could transfer to the colleges you are looking at. *Please note, the final decisions about transfer college credit are made by each specific college once you forward your AP test scores.

KCS Prerequisite Policy for AP & NCCC Courses 

Please view this Prerequisite Policy which will determine student qualifications for both AP and NCCC courses in their 11th and 12th grade years.

Online College Level Coursework Opportunities:

If a student and family wishes to pursue college courses that are not available at KCS, it is a family choice to seek additional options. By pursuing such options a student may gain elective exposure and additional educational experiences that may be appropriate in various individual situations. Here are a few resources families might find helpful. 

Open SUNY: Options to take online college courses that are available in the SUNY network at two-year and four-year colleges.

Freshman Year For Free: Options to take free college courses to prepare for CLEP exams and AP exams.

CLEP Exams: The College Board’s College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers  a credit-by-examination program.  This program offers students the opportunity to demonstrate their mastery of introductory college-level material and earn college credit. Students can earn credit for what they already know by getting qualifying scores on any of the 33 examinations.

KCS Transcript Request

If you would like us to send a copy of your KCS Transcript to a college or employer, please complete this KCS Transcript Request Form and return it to the school secretary.

College Credit Transfer Request

NCCC Bridge Course Transcripts

If you have taken courses for college credit at KCS, you must request that North Country Community College send their transcript to a college or employer.  Complete this Transcript Request Form and send it to North County Community College. Please note there is a $7.00 fee for official transcripts.

AP Course Score Reporting & Credit Policy

If you have taken AP courses and the AP exam, you will need to have your scores sent officially to colleges and universities for their consideration of transfer credit.  Visit this AP Collegeboard page to send scores and to look up the transfer credit policies a colleges and universities.

Champlain Educational Services Tech Offerings

Students in 11th & 12th grade have the opportunity to attend career and technical education training programs at the CV-TEC campus in Mineville and Plattsburgh (for programs not offered in Mineville).

Beginning in 10th grade, students will have the opportunity to tour and investigate available programs to aid in planning their final years of high school.

For a complete list of programs, descriptions, and videos visit the CV-TEC Website.

Plattsburgh Campus offerings:  CVTEC Plattsburgh Video

Mineville Campus Offerings: CVTEC Mineville Video 

Students who are interested should contact Mrs. Johnson in the School Counseling Office.